Filipino-American moms got together for a 1980s themed birthday party for our dear friend R four days ago. Most of us grew up in the 80s and 90s and when someone suggested the 80s theme birthday party, we all went nuts. LOL.
Anyway, it was a potluck party. Everyone brought special dishes for all to enjoy. Made some Chayote Cabbage with Pork Stir-Fry.
I don’t cook that often at home. But when I do, I stay in my kitchen until the food is cooked and the place is cleaned.
1 lb. pork (for stir fry)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
2-3 pcs. chayote squash, peeled and cut into cubes (bite size)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
- In medium heat, saute garlic and onion until brown and soft.
- Add pork. Stir fry for about 5-8 minutes until pork is brown.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt and a dash of black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes while cooking in it’s own sauce. Stirring while simmering.
- Add chayote squash, water, and the beef bouillon. Stir to blend and let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables and meat are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with rice.
Everyone had a great time at the party, I think. Especially when we started the disco and karaoke in the evening.