As I was cleaning up and organizing some of K’s school work from last year, I took a moment reading one of her journals-the Work on Writing Journal-and I found this in one of the pages.
About My Mom
- likes buffets
- has lots of rings
- lives (lived) in the Phillaphenes (Philippines)
- loves shrimp
- loves coffee
- loves me.
Isn’t this sweet? I was touched reading this. My darling daughter knows me well.
I would recommend looking through your children’s school journals. You might find cute, sweet, interesting, or funny writings and expressions there.
*Corrections in open and close parenthesis.
As we prep to do our grocery shopping, dear husband was making a list…
S: What else do you want to add in the list, honey? Kaylen, do you need anything else from the grocery store? Ah, rice…check if you still have some rice left.
K: Rice. Definitely.
1980s theme birthday party.
Filipino-American moms got together for a 1980s themed birthday party for our dear friend R four days ago. Most of us grew up in the 80s and 90s and when someone suggested the 80s theme birthday party, we all went nuts. LOL.
Anyway, it was a potluck party. Everyone brought special dishes for all to enjoy. Made some Chayote Cabbage with Pork Stir-Fry.
Pork frying with onion garlic.
Chayote and pork stir fry in a pot.
Chayote Squash and Pork Stir-Fry
I don’t cook that often at home. But when I do, I stay in my kitchen until the food is cooked and the place is cleaned.
1 lb. pork (for stir fry)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
2-3 pcs. chayote squash, peeled and cut into cubes (bite size)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
- In medium heat, saute garlic and onion until brown and soft.
- Add pork. Stir fry for about 5-8 minutes until pork is brown.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt and a dash of black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes while cooking in it’s own sauce. Stirring while simmering.
- Add chayote squash, water, and the beef bouillon. Stir to blend and let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables and meat are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with rice.
Pretty birthday cake.
The little ones playing the Cup Game. They had so much fun!
Everyone had a great time at the party, I think. Especially when we started the disco and karaoke in the evening.